In this article, you will get to know about...
Avenidas Novas is the noble place to live in Lisbon, next to traditional upper middle class neighborhoods, close to local shops and offices where some of the renowned national and international companies are located. The Avenidas Novas border is next to Praça Marquês de Pombal and includes some of Lisbon’s most central avenues and neighborhoods, namely Avenida Picoas, Praça Duque de Saldanha, Avenida da República, Campo Pequeno, Campo Grande, Avenida de Bern, 5 de Outubro Avenue, Praça de Espanha, Avenida António Augusto de Aguiar, Avenida Fontes Pereira de Mello, Avenida de Roma, Avenida do Brasil, Praça do Areeiro, Praça de Londres, Bairro Azul and the neighborhood of Alvalade. The Avenidas Novas are considered one of the main business and commerce centers in Lisbon due to the presence of shopping centers such as the Picoas Forum, the Atrium Saldanha, the Saldanha Residence, the Campo Pequeno Shopping Center or the El Corte Shopping Center English.
Avenidas Novas is one of the main business and commerce areas in Lisbon, where the largest national and international brands, companies and financial institutions are concentrated. Avenidas Novas are also sought after by students and researchers of the most varied nationalities due to the presence of institutions of recognized merit such as the case of Faculdade Nova de Lisboa, Universidade Católica de Lisboa or Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian. Avenidas Novas are highly sought after by those who appreciate architecture, especially Art Deco. The place where you can see this best preserved architectural style is in the Bairro Azul, a residential area that is located close to the El Corte Inglés Shopping Center, the Central Mosque of Lisbon, the Lisbon Zoo, Parque Eduardo Sétimo and one of the most important metro stations in Lisbon, São Sebastião. Thus, Avenidas Novas is an easily accessible place with a wide variety of offers. The Avenidas Novas parish also has some of the most important transport stations in Lisbon, namely Entrecampos, Campo Grande and São Sebastião Stations. In Avenidas Novas it is possible to feel and see the daily bustle of a large European capital on the main roads, but at the same time, experience calm and tranquility in neighborhoods such as Azul or Alvalade, where fish is still found today. coolest in Lisbon. Avenidas Novas is still a popular place for students and researchers of the most varied nationalities and cultures due to the presence of educational institutions of internationally recognized merit, with emphasis on the Universidade Nova de Lisboa and the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. Avenidas Novas are a place of excellence in the Portuguese capital, where it is possible to do business, sport, stroll, study, rest or live.
Avenidas Novas is administered by the Avenidas Novas Parish Council.
Attractions to visit in Avenidas Novas de Lisboa (top 10)
1. Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian “… is a perpetual institution of Portuguese nationality with charitable, artistic, educational and scientific purposes, located on Avenida de Berna. The Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation is a living space, always busy with visitors, university students, children, dancers, musicians, researchers and scientists. The Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation has a financial asset of more than three billion euros per year, occupying the 14th position in the European ranking. The Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian was created in Portugal at the desire of Calouste Sarkis Gulbenkian (1865-1955), considered the richest man in the world, Calouste Sarkis Gulbenkian lived in Portugal during the last decades of your life. The founding was only opened in 1969, already after his death, with a project by the architects Alberto Pessoa (1919-1985), Pedro Cid (1925-1983) and Ruy d’Athouguia (1917-2006), being supervised by José de Azeredo Perdigão (1896-1993) and Sommer Ribeiro (1924-2006). A team of Portuguese and foreign consultants was created, namely Guimarães Lobato (1915-2008), Sir Leslie Martin (1908-2004), Franco Albini (1905-1977), Georges Henri Riviere (1897-1985), Carlos Ramos (1897- 1969) and Keil do Amaral (1910-1975). The foundation is organized into three structures: the Headquarters: designed by Pedro Cid; the Grande Auditório: it was designed by Alberto Pessoa, with the participation of Alfredo Keil and Eduardo Anahory (1917-1986). The Grande Auditório is distinct from all the auditoriums that exist in the world because it has an opening to the outside behind the stage, namely to the foundation garden. It is in this auditorium that the Calouste Gulbenkian Symphony Orchestra operates; and the Jardins Calouste Gulbenkian: designed by the landscape architects Gonçalo Ribeiro Telles and António Vianna Barreto, who created the gardens on top of an artificial platform.
The Foundation was innovative from the beginning, having created several important projects for Portugal, namely:
Itinerant Libraries: installed in Citröens that moved all over the country, having been one of the few forms of access to reading for many Portuguese for many decades; Plan of editions of university manuals and classical studies of Greece and Ancient Rome; Library of the Cultural Center of Paris with approximately 90 thousand volumes related to Portugal; Services of the Armenian Communities in London which aims to spread the Armenian language and culture and support Armenian immigrants around the world; Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência one of the most important biomedicine research spaces in Portugal. The Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência was opened in 1961 in the city of Oeiras; Charity actions all over the country through the construction of several works, namely the construction of a homeless neighborhood in Arruda dos Vinhos, helps the poorest in 70 countries.
The main highlights of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation are:
- José de Azeredo Perdigão Modern Art Center is the most important modern art space in Portugal since its foundation in 1983;
- Calouste Gulbenkian Museum Building: by Ruy d’Athouguia. Maria Teresa Gomes Ferreira was the museologist responsible for organizing the Permanent Collection Calouste Gulbenkian even before arriving in Portugal, since the collection was dispersed throughout the various residences of Calouste Gulbenkian in Europe, Turkey and the United States of America. The Calouste Gulbenkian Museum is classified as a “Seven Best Small Museums in the World” and the only museum in the world that is covered in granite with an approximate collection of six thousand pieces. The main points of interest of the museum are the Bas-Relief of Assyria, Nimrud of the 9th century BC.; the Persian rug from the 16th-17th centuries with sickle leaves; the Painting “Palas Aten by Rembrandt of 1657, Portrait of Helena Fourment by Rubens of 1632,“ Still Life ”by Claude Monet of 1872; the “Mosque Lamp of Egypt or Syria” dated 1346; “Diana” by Jean-Antoine Houdon from 1780; and the “Book of Hours of Isabel da Bretanha or ´ “ The Hours of Lamoignon ”` of 1430; “Pectoral Libélula” by René Lalique from 1898.
- Art Library: considered the best Art Library in Portugal , created by Daciano da Costa (1930-2005), author of the Reading Room of the National Library. It is a rare library due to the great quality and quantity of art volumes (more than three thousand titles) that are available, and due to the existence of large windows that allow the sun to enter the reading room with a constant brightness during the day. The main highlights of the Art Library of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation are: the more than 3 thousand titles in the Calouste Gulbenkian collection; and the works of Portuguese artists.
2. Campo Pequeno Monumental Bullring is a historic building in the city of Lisbon, with Bull Ring, Theater Show, Shopping Center, Museum and restaurants, located in Campo Pequeno. The building is one of the main attractions of Lisbon due to the Neo-Arab style architecture and the use of brick, which transmits an ocher color. The Monumental Bullring of Campo Pequeno was inaugurated in 1892 and the Shopping Center opened in 2006 with a project by architects José Bruschy, Pedro Fidalgo, Filomena Vicente, Lourenço Vicente, João Goes Ferreira and Gonçalo Teixeira. The main points of interest close to Campo Pequeno are: the Jardim do Campo Pequeno; the Marquês de Marialva Playground; and the Palácio Galveias Library.
3. Palácio Pimenta (Museum of the City) is a museum space located in Campo Grande where you can learn about the history of the city of Lisbon from Prehistory to the 20th century. The museum is integrated in an 18th century building, the Pimenta Palace, having been inaugurated in 1979 and relaunched in 2015 under the name Museu de Lisboa and divided into five structures located elsewhere in Lisbon: Pimenta Palace; Museum of Santo António; Roman Theater; Casa dos Bicos; Torreão Poente do Terreiro do Paço. The main highlights of the Palácio Pimenta (City Museum) are: the Jardim Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro; the plaster and wood model representing the city of Lisbon prior to the 1755 Earthquake; A painting representing the 17th century Terreiro do Paço by Dirk Stoop; the 1950’s model of the city of Lisbon; and Architectural plans of Águas Livres Aqueduct.
4. São Sebastião da Pedreira Church: it is a 17th century Baroque building and one of the few survivors of the 1755 Earthquake, located at Rua Tomás Ribeiro. The Church of São Sebastião da Pedreira was inaugurated in 1652 and the cult dedicated to São Sebastião, with the following highlights: the double staircase in the main facade that gives access to the main entrance; the tile panels representing scenes from the life of São Sebastião; the 18th century paintings dedicated to São Sebastião; and the Retable to represent the “Last Supper” by Cirilo Volkmar Machado.
5. Jardim Amália Rodrigues is a 6-hectare garden with a magnificent view over the city of Lisbon, located at the top of Parque Eduardo VII. The Jardim Amália Rodrigues was opened in 1996 under the name Alto do Parque, and the project was created by Gonçalo Ribeiro Telles and changed to its current name in the year 2000. The garden is very popular with locals and tourists due to View over Parque Eduardo Sétimo, Marquês de Pombal, Baixa Lisboeta, Rio Tejo and Serra da Arrábida; Existence of a semi circular amphitheater facing Avenida da Liberdade; Paths framed by trees and rose gardens that allow walking in the shade; a Round lake where it is possible to observe birds, aquatic animals and a walkway; Water Line Esplanade; a Wooded area with trees of various species, namely Olive Trees, Pinheiros Mansos, Poplars, Almond and Oaks; a Sculpture representing “A Maternidade by the sculptor Fernando Botero; and the Sculpture representing “O Segredo” by sculptor António Lagoa Henriques.
6. Bordalo Pinheiro Museum: it is a museum that has “… the mission of preserving, studying, documenting and disseminating the work of Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro”, located in Campo Grande. The Museu Bordalo Pinheiro was opened in 1916 at the initiative of the collector and poet Arthur Ernesto Santa Cruz Magalhães (1864-1928), being integrated in a building by the architect Álvaro Augusto Machado. The museological space includes a collection with more than 13 thousand objects distributed in several categories, namely: Newspapers; Drawing; Engraving; Painting; Ceramics; Tiles; Photography; Documentation; Equipment and Utensils. The main highlights of the Museu Bordalo Pinheiro are: Permanent Exhibition“ Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro ”; Permanent exhibition “Bordalo à Mesa”; Permanent Exhibition “Centenary of the Museum (1916-2016)”; Workshops where you can learn ceramics, carpentry, paint tiles or crochet.
7. Church of Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Fátima is the first Catholic church built in Lisbon after the Implantation of the Republic and the first modern church in the country, located on Avenida de Berna. The Church of Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Fátim `was inaugurated in 1938 with a project by the architect Porfírio Pardal Monteiro (1897-1957) and at the wish of Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon Dom Manuel Cerejeira (1888-1977). The architect Pardal Monteiro was the author of projects such as the Cais do Sodré Train Station, Alcântara and Rocha Conde de Óbidos Maritime Stations or the Hotel Ritz. The main highlights of the Church are: Interior dimensions with a capacity for 800 people in a central body 65 meters long and a nave 50 meters long and 24 meters wide; Image of Nossa Senhora de Fátima on the outside by António Costa; Apostolary in half-relief by Francisco Franco, located at the top of the entrance porch; Frescos representing the Via Sacra by Henrique Franco; Stained glass by Almada Negreiros; Paintings on the arches of the Church and fresco representing the Coronation of the Virgin by Lino António; Sculpture of Christ on the Cross by Barata Feyo; Retable of the Resurrection of São Lázaro by Leopoldo de Almeida; Baptistery – with a round exterior and topped by a stone cross by Pardal Monteiro; the interior of the Baptistery stands out for the image representing Saint John the Baptist in the Baptistery by Leopoldo de Almeida, for the dome painting, stained glass and mosaics by Almada Negreiros.
8. Biblioteca Nacional de Lisboa is the main library in Portugal, located in Campo Grande. The Lisbon National Library stands out for its size and for being a living space and very frequented by students, teachers and researchers from all areas of knowledge. The National Library preserves everything published in Portugal and abroad about the country. The library was inaugurated in 1969, with the participation of the architects Porfírio Pardal Monteiro (1897-1957) and António Pardal Monteiro (1928-2012) and Daciano da Costa (1930-2005), the first designer in Portugal. The National Library of Lisbon was built at the current location due to the proximity of the future University City of Lisbon. The main highlights of the National Library are the Dimension of the exterior facade, painted in pink; the grand dimension of the entrance with wide stairs, the green painted ceilings and a panel by Lino António; the Council Room with emphasis on the table designed by Daciano da Costa (1930-2005), also author of the Rectory of the University of Lisbon and the Art Library of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, the ceiling built with staves for generate greater luminosity and the tapestry by Carlos Botelho; and the General Reading Room , a reading room with approximately one thousand square meters by Daciano da Costa. The highlights of the General Reading Room are: the Ceiling of light that conveys the sensation of being suspended; the Tapestry by Guilherme Camarinha; the brightness of the room due to the large size of the windows and the existence of a balcony; and the Book deposit tower with a General Reading Deposit with almost 3 million books spread over eight floors, accessible only to library staff who move here and then deliver users’ requests. In this space it is possible to find books written from the 16th century; and the Special Collections Deposit located in the same tower as the General Reading book deposit, however only with two floors. In this collection are available books printed until 1500, namely, Manuscript on parchment with works of Saint Isidore of Seville of the century, the oldest book in the National Library; the “Cervera Hebrew Bible” written between 1299 and 1300, acquired by António Ribeiro dos Santos (1745-1818), first Chief Librarian of the Royal Public Library of the Court; the “Queen Dona Leonor’s 15th Century Book of Hours”; the 42 Line Bible written between 1454 and 1455, was the first book printed by Johann Guttenberg. There are only 49 copies of the 42 Line Bible in the world; “Os Lusíadas” a first edition of the work of Luís de Camões dated 1572; “A Peregrínio” a first edition of the work of Fernão Mendes Pinto dated 1614; and the Deposit of Cartography and Iconography with emphasis on ´ “ North Atlantic Charter ”` by Lopo Homem dated 1550, “Map of the Diamantina Demarcation of Brazil of 1776”, approximately 250 allusive posters World War I (1914-1918) and 30,000 illustrated postcards.
9. Torre do Tombo National Archives is“ … a central archive of the Portuguese State that keeps documents from the 9th century to the present day… ”, located at Alameda da Universidade. The word “tombo” means to register and the place where the royal property was registered was in one of the towers of the Castelo de São Jorge, the equivalent of the current “Diário da República”. The Portuguese archive is one of the oldest archives in the world, with references to existence since 1378. The Torre do Tombo National Archive passed through several buildings, namely:
- Tower of Castelo de São Jorge , between 1378 and 1755;
- Barraca : a temporary tent built in wood after the 1755 Earthquake;
- São Bento Monastery : was here for approximately two hundred years until the inauguration of the current building, built between 1985 and 1990, by the architect Arsenio Cordeiro. The space is highly sought after by visitors from all over the world to carry out all kinds of research, private or public, to consult the more than 100 km of documents distributed by six strong houses. The main highlights are the Building with eight gargoyles by the sculptor José Aurélio, each gargoyle weighing 18 tons. The building was constructed in the shape of a T, with the aim of, in the event of an earthquake, the two T’s falling on top of each other and thus protecting the stronghold where the documents that symbolize Torre do Tombo are located; Documents classified as UNESCO World Heritage -“ Carta de Pero Vaz de Caminha from 1500 ”, the first document classified in 2007 and Documentary Body of 83 thousand documents related to the Portuguese Expansion and the“ Treaty of Tordesillas de 1494; Salazar Archives; Inquisition Processes; Portrait of Diogo do Couto, Chief Guard of Torre do Tombo.
10. Cidade Universitária de Lisboa is a university center that integrates the largest university in Portugal, located at Alameda da Universidade. The University City of Lisbon consists of eighteen colleges offering 80 degrees, 201 masters degrees and 110 PhDs attended by more than 47,000 students in all areas of study. The Cidade Universitária de Lisboa was built between 1938 and 1961 with projects by Porfírio Pardal Monteiro and António Pardal Monteiro, responsible for the Rectory building, the Faculty of Letters and the Faculty of Law. The main attractions of Cidade Universitária are the Rectory Building with emphasis on the Aula Magna showroom, panels by Almada Negreiros and stained glass by Lino António; and the Garden in front of the Rectory building where it is possible to observe students dressed in Academic Attire.
Other attractions to explore in Avenidas Novas
Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon is the longest-running luxury hotel in Lisbon, located at Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca. The location was chosen strategically due to the proximity of Lisbon Airport and Avenida Marginal, with the connection to Estoril and Cascais. Hotel Ritz was built between 1953 and 1959 by the architect Porfírio Pardal Monteiro and the design of exterior arrangements by António Vieira Barreto and Álvaro Dentinho, being a monumental and palatial interior and exterior space, built in a Modern style. The hotel building is unique in the city of Lisbon due to the cobblestone shape in which it was designed and for being one of the interior spaces with the highest concentration of decorative arts pieces in Lisbon. The Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon has the particular curiosity of having sixteen elevators, four dedicated to exclusive use by guests and twelve dedicated to hotel service. The main points of interest of the Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon are the View over Parque Eduardo VII, Marquês de Pombal, Baixa de Lisboa, Rio Tejo and Serra da Arrábida; the Proximity to the Amoreiras Shopping Center; the pattern tile panels by Hansi Staël; a ceramic column, by Querubim Lapa; the mural design to represent Orpheus by the sculptor Martins Correia; the dining room, by Lucien Donnat (1920-2013); Two canvases painted by Carlos Botelho, one representing Lisbon and another representing the discharge of salt at the port of Lisbon; the Tapestry representing “The Four Seasons”, by Sarah Afonso; the Tapestries representing “History of love between Centaurs”, by Almada Negreiros; o Three-dimensional drawing representing the harvest of cereals, by Almada Negreiros; the Baixo-Relevo to represent “The mythical creation of Lisbon by Ulysses”, by the sculptor Barata Feyo; the Baixo-Relevos to represent “The Parts of the World”, that is, the continents where Portugal was present, by the sculptor Joaquim Correia; and Sculpture representing “Night and Day” by sculptor António Duarte.
Casa Artur Prat is the headquarters of the Order of Engineers, located on Avenida Sidónio Pais. The building was built to be the residence of the sculptor and painter Artur Prat, opened in 1912 with a project by Ventura Terra. The main highlights of Casa Artur Prat are the facades and stonework.
Casa dos Viscondes de Valmor is a luxury accommodation located on Avenida da República. The House of Viscounts of Valmor was inaugurated in 1906 as the residence of the widow of Viscount of Valmor, designed by the architect Ventura Terra. The Casa dos Viscondes de Valmor is classified as Property of Public Interest, with the Valmor Prize in 1906, in a central location in Lisbon, close to Saldanha and Avenida da Liberdade.
Doutor Anastácio Gonçalves House-Museum is a museum with more than three thousand works of art from the private collection of the doctor Anastácio Gonçalves, located on Avenida 5 de Outubro. The Casa-Museu was inaugurated in 1905 as a painting studio and residence of the painter José Malhoa (1855-1933), having received the Valmor Prize. The building was acquired by Anastácio Gonçalves (1889-1965) where he always lived with the aim of transforming it into a museum. The Casa-Museu Doutor Anastácio Gonçalves was opened in 1996 with a project by architects Frederico and Pedro George. The main highlights are the Nucleus of Portuguese Painting from the 19th and 20th centuries; the Chinese Porcelain Core; the Furniture nucleus Portuguese and foreign; the Collection of pocket watches made in France and Switzerland; and the Collection of watercolors and artifacts by the painter Silva Porto.
Jardim Amélia Carvalheira is a two thousand square meter garden, located on Avenida Marquês de Tomar near the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, Church of Nossa Senhora de Fátima and Universidade Nova de Lisboa, with a playground and a sculpture of tribute to Amélia Carvalheira.
Henrique Mendonça Palace is one of the headquarters of Fundação Aga Khan in Portugal, located at Rua Marquês de Fronteira. The Henrique Mendonça Palace was inaugurated in 1909 to be the residence of businessman Henrique José Monteiro de Mendonça (1864-1942), designed by the architect Ventura Terra. The Henrique Mendonça Palace has the following highlights: the main façade built in the Art Nouveau style; the monumentality of the staircase leading to the main floor; the decoration of the Louis XV Salon in Neo Rococo style; and the Gardens of the Henrique Mendonça Palace.
Lisbon Central Mosque is the main mosque of the Islamic Community in Lisbon, located at Rua da Mesquita. The Mosque was opened in 1985, with a project by António Braga and João Paulo Conceição with the aim of being the main religious temple for Muslims living in Portugal. The Islamic Community of Portugal is led by David Munir, who is also responsible for organizing guided tours to non-Muslims. The main points of interest of the Central Mosque of Lisbon are: the main facade of the mosque with the dome painted in sky blue, the Half Moon and the lapis lazuli mosaics above the main entrance; Prayer Room – with a red carpet covering almost the entire floor and inscriptions taken from the Koran; Central courtyard, an open roofless courtyard with a fountain in the center; Washing room, a place where Muslims perform the washing ritual before each prayer; Library of the Mosque dedicated to the study of topics related to Islam.
Parque Eduardo Sétimo (Parque Eduardo Sétimo)
El Corte Inglés (El Corte Inglés)
Alvalade Market (Mercado de Alvalade)
Lisbon City Museum (Museu da cidade de Lisboa)
Versailles pastry (Pastelaria Versailles)
Blue neighborhood (Bairro Azul)
Naval Military Club (Clube Militar Naval)
Cold Greenhouse (Estufa Fria)
National Mint Press (Imprensa Nacional da Casa da Moeda)
Mendonça Palace (Palácio Mendonça)
Vivalva Palace (Palácio Vivalva)
Main streets and squares in Avenidas Novas
Avenida da República is the main avenue of Avenidas Novas, with connection between Praça Duque de Saldanha and Campo Grande. Avenida da República is one of the main arteries of Lisbon, very busy with tourists and local people, and motor vehicles. The Avenida da República is known for being a business area, restaurant, tourism and access to public transport. The current name was assigned in 1910 after the Implantation of the Republic in Portugal. The main points of interest on Avenida da República are: o Palacete Valmor; the central location and the proximity of Praça Duque de Saldanha and Avenida da Liberda; the ´ Bullring Square of Campo Pequeno; the Train and Metro Stations of Entrecampos; and Restaurante O Galletto.
Avenida de Berna is a communication axis widely used to reach Lisbon city center, with a connection between Praça de Espanha and Campo Pequeno. Avenida de Berna is a popular place for tourists and students due to its proximity to the Universidade Nova de Lisboa and the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. The current name is related to a tribute paid to Bern, capital of Switzerland. The main attractions of Avenida de Berna are: the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation; the Church of Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Fátima; and the Institute of Medieval Studies.
Avenida António Augusto de Aguiar is one of the main communication routes in the center of Lisbon, with a connection between Praça de Espanha and Avenida Fontes Pereira de Melo. The avenue is mainly used for tourist cars, public transport and private vehicles. The Avenida António Augusto de Aguiar is thus designated to honor the University and Political Professor António Augusto de Aguiar (1838-1887), Minister of Public Works between 1883 and 1885. The main points of interest of Avenida António Augusto Aguiar are: the proximity of Parque Eduardo VII, Praça Marquês de Pombal and Avenida da Liberdade; the El Corte Inglés shopping center; and the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
Avenida 5 de Outubro is one of the busiest and largest avenues in Lisbon, approximately two kilometers long, with a connection between Avenida Professor Aníbal Bettencourt and Rua Pinheiro Chagas. The Avenida 5 de Outubro is a transit area very frequented by Portuguese due to the large number of public transport that exist nearby. Avenida 5 de Outubro is thus designated to honor the Revolution of October 5, 1910, which established the Republican Regime in Portugal. The buildings on Avenida 5 de Outubro are mainly used as hotels, companies, schools, government services and public transport infrastructure.
Fontes Fontes Pereira de Melo is one of the most important avenues in the Portuguese capital, with a connection between Praça Duque de Saldanha and Praça Marquês de Pombal. The avenue is thus designated to honor Fontes Pereira de Melo (1819-1887), former President of the Council of Ministers. The Avenida Fontes Pereira de Melo is an important highway communication route in the city, approximately 1 km long, always very busy. Avenida Fontes Pereira de Melo has several points of interest, namely Parque Eduardo VI; the Street Art Gallery; the Teatro Villaret; and Saldanha Residence Shopping Center.
Praça Duque de Saldanha is one of the main squares in Lisbon, with a connection between Avenida Fontes Pereira de Melo, Avenida Casal Ribeiro, Avenida da República and Avenida Praia da Vitória. Praça Duque de Saldanha is an extremely busy area of the city due to the presence of numerous service companies, commercials, hotels and two shopping centers: the Centro Comercial Atrium Saldan and the Centro Comercial Monumental. The Praça Duque de Saldanha is thus named in honor of Marshal Duque de Saldanha (1790-1876), one of the most important politicians of the 19th century and determinant in the Civil War of 1828-1834. The main points of interest in Praça Duque de Saldanha are the Monumental Shopping Center; the Atrium Saldanha Shopping Center; and the Statue of Marshal Duque de Saldanha by João Carlos de Saldanha Oliveira and Daun and inaugurated in 1909.
Estabelecimentos de Ensino nas Avenidas Novas
- Banking Training Institute (Instituto de Formação Bancária)
- Higher Institute of Banking Management (Instituto Superior de Gestão Bancária)
- NOVA University of Lisbon (Universidade Nova de Lisboa)
Tourist Developments in Avenidas Novas
- Corinthia Hotel
- DoubleTree by Hilton Lisbon Fontana Park
- Evolution Lisboa Hotel
- H10 Duque de Loulé
- Hotel 3K Europa
- Hotel Real Palácio
- Jupiter Lisboa Hotel
- Lisbon Marriott Hotel
- Lutecia Smart Design Hotel
- Olissipo Saldanha
- Sana Lisboa Hotel
- Sheraton Lisboa Hotel & Spa
- VIP Grand Lisboa Hotel & Spa
Transport and Access in Avenidas Novas
- Metropolitano Stations:
- Campo Pequeno;
- Train Stations:
- Entrecampos Railway Station (Estação Ferroviária de Entrecampos).
Feiras, Festas e Romarias nas Avenidas Novas
- Book Fair: held annually in June at Parque Eduardo Sétimo
Avenidas Novas Parish Location on Lisbon Map
[custom-related-posts title=”Visit other places near Avenidas Novas” none_text=”…in update” order_by=”title” order=”ASC”]