In this article, you will get to know about...
Campo de Ourique & Amoreiras
Campo de Ourique e Amoreiras is a neighborhood located in one of the hills and entrances of Lisbon, before Praça do Marquês de Pombal. Campo de Ourique is an area known for the Amoreiras shopping center, the first shopping center built in Portugal in 1985, and the French Lyceum Charles Lepierre, considered one of the best schools in Portugal. Campo de Ourique is integrated in the parish of Campolide, one of the accesses from the south and west to Lisbon. Daily during rush hour, from 6 pm, this area is impassable, due to the cars leaving Lisbon towards the surrounding cities: the A5 motorway connects to Cascais and Sintra. Amoreiras is a commercial area due to the presence of the Amoreiras Shopping Center, a place with important business and luxury tourism offices, four and five star hotels, namely the Ritz, Tivoli, Dom Pedro Lisboa and other prominent hotels. Campo de Ourique e Amoreiras and considered an area of glamor and luxury gastronomy due to the presence of some restaurants, especially the Eleven restaurant and La Trattoria. It is a residential area due to the Campo de Ourique neighborhood and a multicultural area due to the presence of the Central Mosque of Lisbon. Campo de Ourique is definitely a modern place and chosen by many of the entrepreneurs who visit Lisbon to do business.
Campo de Ourique is administered by the Parish Council of Campo de Ourique
Attractions to visit in Campo de Ourique e Amoreiras (top 10)
1. Centro Comercial das Amoreiras is a shopping center and one of the symbolic spaces of the city of Lisbon, located at Avenida Duarte Pacheco. The Amoreiras Shopping Center was opened in 1985 with a project by the architect Tomás Taveira, at the time being the first shopping center in Portugal and the fourth largest mall in Europe. The Amoreiras Shopping Center is currently very frequented by Portuguese and tourists. The main attractions are:
- Amoreiras 360º Panoramic View, a viewpoint located at the top of the Torres das Amoreiras, approximately 17 meters high. Access to the viewpoint is via the 2nd floor of the Amoreiras Shopping Center, providing a 360º view over the city of Lisbon, namely: Tagus River, 25 de Abril Bridge, Cristo Rei, São Jorge Castle, Estrela Basilica, Cathedral Lisbon, Rotunda do Marquês de Pombal or Parque Eduardo VII;
- Existence of more than two hundred stores of national and foreign brands, especially Chanel, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss;
- Catering area with more than three thousand square meters, where it is possible to taste Portuguese and foreign cuisine in restaurants such as O Madeirense, Black House, O Barbatana or Serra da Estrela .
2. Águas Livres Aqueduct is a water supply system in the city of Lisbon, located in the Alcântara Valley. The Aqueduct was built from 1748 with a project by António Cannevari, Manuel da Maia and Carlos Mardel, with an extension of 58 km spread over 127 arches, with the main section in the Alcântara Valley having 36 archostendo and the highest arch with an altitude of 65 meters. The Águas Livres Aqueduct was deactivated in 1973 and opened to the public for visits in 1986. The main highlights of the Aqueduct are the Museu da Água; the Mãe d’Água das Amoreiras; and the Patriarcal Reservoir in Jardim do Princípe Real.
3. Igreja do Santo Condestável is a Christian temple built to honor Dom Nuno Álvares Pereira (1360-1431), located in Campo de Ourique. The church was inaugurated in 1951 with a project by Vasco Morais Palmeiro (Regaleira), with a Latin cross with three naves. The main highlights of the Igreja do Santo Condestável are the Main façade with the statues representing the Angel of Portugal on the left and São Miguel Arcanjo on the right, by the author Leopoldo de Almeida; the Capela-Mor with a Fresco representing the glorification of Blessed Nuno de Santa Maria, by the painters Portela Júnior and Joaquim Rebocho; the Stained glass windows representing the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Good Shepherd, The Heart of Mary, The Annunciation of the Angel, by Almada Negreiros. and the Relics of the Holy Constable.
4. Casa-Museu Amália Rodrigues is a museum space dedicated to the preservation of the work of the fado singer Amália Rodrigues, located at Rua de São Bento. The Casa-Museu, the former residence of the singer, was inaugurated in 1999. The main highlights of the Casa-Museu Amália Rodrigues are the living room, the bedroom, the decoration with a theme related to fado and a small garden outside.
5. Campo de Ourique Municipal Market is one of the most important markets in the city of Lisbon, located at Rua Coelho da Rocha. The original market was opened in 1934, having been declared heritage of the Lisbon City Council in 1973 and relaunched in 2013 with inspiration from Mercado da Ribeira. The main highlights of the Campo de Ourique Municipal Market are the Traditional stalls selling fish and vegetables; and the 16 spaces of varied gastronomy.
6. Casa Fernando Pessoa is a museum dedicated to the preservation and dissemination of the life and work of Lisbon writer Fernando Pessoa, located at Rua Coelho da Rocha. Casa Fernando Pessoa was the place where Fernando Pessoa lived the last fifteen years of his life. Fernando Pessoa (1888-1935) is one of the best known Portuguese writers in the world. The Portuguese writer was born in Lisbon in a house opposite the National Theater of São Carlos, lived nine years of childhood in South Africa, where his father was Consul and lived in rooms and apartments in the city of Lisbon until he died in 1935 on Rua Conde da Rock. Fernando Pessoa published several works, namely “Livro do Desassossego” in 1913, “The Message” of 1934, founded the publisher Olisipo in 1821 and the magazine “Atena” in 1924. The main highlights of Casa Fernando Pessoa are: the furniture used by Fernando Pessoa, namely the dresser or bookcase where he kept the books; the Documentation where it is possible to observe an identity card, several business cards, apartment lease, the letter written to the literary critic Adolfo Casais Monteiro where he explains the writing technique he uses and the sheet where he wrote the last sentence on the eve of death: “I know not what tomorrow will bring”; the Private Library, currently fully digitized; and the Picture of homage to Fernando Pessoa painted in 1954 by Almada Negreiros.
7. Cemitério dos Prazeres is one of the most important cemeteries in the country, considered an authentic open-air museum, located at Praça João Bosco. The Cemitério dos Prazeres began to be built in 1833 to house the bodies of the fatal victims of the cholera epidemic that was raging at the time in Lisbon, having later integrated the new burial plan of the Lisbon City Council, with the aim of migrating the 130 small cemeteries that existed throughout the city for only two large cemeteries – Cemitério dos Prazeres, to the west and Cemitério do Alto de São João, to the east. The main highlights of the Cemitério dos Prazeres are: the Mausoleum of the Dukes of Palmela, the largest private mausoleum in Europe, built in 1847 with a project by the Italian Cinatti. In the Mausoleum of the Dukes of Palmela there are more than 200 tombs, including the tombs of the employees closest to the family of the Dukes of Palmela; the largest and oldest cypress tree collection on the Iberian Peninsula; more than 7 thousand deposits spread over 12 hectares; the Crypt of Firefighters Sapadores, inaugurated in 1878 with a project by the architect Dias da Silva to honor the corporation of Firefighters Sapadores. In this crypt are the old autopsy rooms, where the first autopsies were performed outside the Institute of Legal Medicine; the Jazigo by António Augusto Monteiro, António Augusto Monteiro (1848-1920) was responsible for the creation of Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra. The tomb was built in 1908 with a project by Luigi Manini (1848-1936); the Deposit of the Countess of Burnay, designed by the architect Ernest Korrodi (1870-1944); o Talhão dos Artistas, the place where some of the most important Portuguese artists are buried, namely:
- António Gedeão;
- Cândida Branca Flor;
- Carlos Paredes;
- Henriques Mendes;
- Mário Cesariny;
- Vasco Santana;
- Ofélia Queiroz, Fernando Pessoa’s only known girlfriend.
8. Jardim Marcelino Mesquita is one of the oldest gardens in the city of Lisbon, located at Praça das Amoreiras. Jardim Marcelino Mesquita, also known as Jardim das Amoreiras due to the existence of 331 mulberry trees, was built in 1711 by Marquis of Pombal with the aim of developing the industry silks in Portugal. The main highlights of the Jardim Marcelino Mesquita are: the Águas Livres Aqueduct; the Museu Arpad Szènes Vieira da Silva, located in the former Fábrica das Águas Silks built at the behest of Marquês de Pombal; the Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Monserrate, built at the behest of the Silk Factory workers in 1768 in honor of the patron saint of French craftsmen. The Chapel of Nossa Senhora de Monserrate* was built in the space of one of the arches of the Águas Livres Aqueduct.
9. Reservoir of Mãe d’Água das Amoreiras is the oldest water reservoir in Lisbon, located at Praça das Amoreiras. The Mãe d’Água das Amoreiras Reservoir was designed in 1746 by Carlos Mardel with the aim of receiving the water that passed through the Águas Livres Aqueduct, and later distributing it throughout the city. The reservoir took a total of 88 years to be built, and is currently an integrated structure in the Museu da Água. The main highlights of the Reservoir of Mãe d’Água das Amoreiras are: the round arches; the panoramic terrace; o 7.5 meter deep tank with a capacity for 5500 m3 of water; and the Casa do Registo, the place where the water flows to the fountains, factories, convents and noble houses.
10. Casa Veva de Lima is the location of the headquarters of the Associação Casa Veva de Lima, located at Rua Saraiva de Carvalho. Genoveva Lima Mayer (1886-1963), commonly known as Veva Lima was recognized as a writer, for the eccentricity of having a panther as a pet, and for the troubled love life, despite being married, was one of Oliveira Salazar’s well-known girlfriends. The main highlights Casa Veva de Lima are: being one of the spaces where the film “Os Maias” was filmed; the holding of biweekly gatherings; and the interior decoration.
Other attractions to explore in Campo de Ourique e Amoreiras
- Ermida do Senhor Jesus dos Terramotos is an eighteenth century hermitage, located at Rua do Arco do Carvalhão. The chapel was built between 1756 and 1796, and rebuilt in 1842. The main attraction of the Hermit of the Lord Jesus of the Earthquakes is the fact that it is close to the Stairs of the Earthquake.
- Monument to Maria da Fonte is a statue dedicated to Maria who led the revolt of Maria da Fonte in Minho in 1846. The statue was inaugurated in 1920 with a project by António da Costa Motta (uncle).
- Cinema Europa is a Cinema Europa Cultural Space, located at Rua Francisco Metrass. Cinema Europa was opened in the 1930s with a project by Raul Martins, having been one of the most important cinemas in the city of Lisbon. The Cinema Europa functioned as a cinema until 1981, eventually being demolished in 2010. The building was later recovered by the civic movement SOS Cinema Europa, which brought together citizens from the Campo de Ourique neighborhood and the city of Lisbon to rebuild the building. The main attractions of Cinema Europa are the Library of Cinema; and the Alto-Relevo, by Euclides Vaz
- Igreja de Santa Isabel is an 18th century church, located at Rua Saraiva de Carvalho. The church was inaugurated in 1748, designed in Neoclassical style, with a vast interior dimension and a Main Retable in gilt carving.
- Centro Comercial Twin Towers
- Convent of the Lord Jesus of the Good Death
- Church of the College of Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Campolide
- Central Mosque of Lisbon
- São José Workshops
- Pátio dos Artistas
- Praça de Campolide
- Praça de Espanha
- Teatro Aberto
Main streets and squares in Campo de Ourique and Amoreiras
- Rua Coelho da Rocha is one of the central streets of Campo de Ourique, with a connection between Rua Sampaio Brito, Rua Saraiva de Carvalho and Rua da Estrela. The street is thus designated to honor Manuel António Coelho da Rocha (1793-1850), a University Professor Priest in Coimbra and a deputy in the Chamber of Deputies in 1836. The main points of interest existing on Rua Coelho da Rocha are: the Campo de Ourique Municipal Market; and the Casa-Museu Fernando Pessoa.
- Rua Saraiva de Carvalho is one of the busiest streets in the Campo de Ourique neighborhood, with a connection between Praça São João Bosco and Rua Saraiva de Carvalho. The Rua Saraiva de Carvalho is named after Saraiva de Carvalho (1839-1882), deputy, professor of law in Coimbra and owner of one of the most important law firms in the city of Lisbon during the 19th century. The main points of interest are: the Igreja do Santo Condestável; the Salesianos de Lisboa; and the Livraria Salesiana de Lisboa
- Praça São João Bosco is a square in the Campo de Ourique neighborhood close to the Cemitério dos Prazeres and the Salesianos in Lisbon, with a connection to Estrada dos Prazeres, Rua Sampaio Bruno, Rua Saraiva de Carvalho and Rua Coronel Ribeiro Viana. The St. John Bosco Square is so named because St. John Bosco was responsible for the founding of the Salesians in Italy, a preventive teaching method with total absence of punishment. Currently the Salesians exist in several countries, namely Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, England, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Palestine, Algeria, Mexico, Argentina, Ecuador, Brazil, Paraguay, Bolivia, Uruguay, Chile, Peru, Venezuela, Colombia and the United States of America. The main existing attractions close to Praça São João Bosco are: the Cemitério dos Prazeres; the Lisbon Salesians; the Jardim dos Prazeres; and the Don Bosco Statue.
- Rua Maria Pia is one of the entrance and exit streets to the center of Lisbon and one of the largest streets in Campo de Ourique, with a connection between Rua Arco do Carvalhão and Rua João de Oliveira Miguel. The Rua Maria Pia is thus designated to honor the Queen of Portugal Maria Pia de Sabóia (1847-1911), wife of King Dom Luís. The main points of interest of Rua Maria Pia are: Vila Graciete, an old workers’ village; Vila Neves is also an old workers’ village; and the Alcântara Train Station.
Educational establishments in Campo de Ourique and Amoreiras
- Escola Mestre Querubim Lapa
- Josefa de Óbidos High School
- French High School Charles Lepierre
- NOVA IMS Information Management School
- Salesianos de Lisboa
- University Nova de Lisboa
Tourist developments in Campo de Ourique e Amoreiras
- Altis Prime Hotel
- Corinthia Hotel Lisbon
- Epic Sana Lisboa Hotel
- Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon
- Hotel The Vintage Lisboa
- Intercontinental Lisboa
- Marriott Hotel
Transport and Access in Campo de Ourique and Amoreiras
- Campolide Train Station
- Lisbon tram:
- Number 25
- Number 28
- Rato Metro Station (Yellow Line)
- São Sebastião Metro Station (Red and Blue Lines)
- Underground car park in the square of Santo Condestável Church